Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Children prefer ebooks

So according to a new study just released, children prefer ebooks over print books.  When I first read that, I had a "duh" moment.  Of course children prefer ebooks--anything digital that has colors, sounds, and movement is going to rank higher than plain ol' print.

But if you read closer, I'm not sure this was the most valid study.  The study only looked at children ages 3-6 in the summer and fall of 2011.  The comprehension scores were equal but the ebooks were preferred. 

Seems to me to be a small study of a select group.  Is this enough to publish headlines--Children prefer ebooks?  I've seen that headline three times today alone.  And again, there had to be a study done on this topic?  I mean seems to me to be a no brainer.  Of course the digital versions are going to be more enjoyable especially for younger children.

But you know, nothing--nothing at all--will ever top the feeling of holding my grandson in my lap and reading to him--I don't care if it's from a picture book, a tablet or my iphone!  The act of reading is what counts.  The delivery medium is secondary.

No comments:

Post a Comment