Wednesday, January 4, 2012

QR codes not going anywhere.....

So I keep reading about QR codes and I'm finding not too many people know what they are.  This article from CNN says that 8 out of 10 college students don't know what to do with a QR code!  And I would think that would be a "target" audience--if anyone would know about a new technology, it would be college kids.

I've used QR codes for a little while with marginal success.  I made lots of summer assignment websites for teachers and then made display signs with QR codes on them.  I made sure to put some instructions about accessing the code but I find I have to include the web address too.

Part of the reason I think QR codes aren't catching on is not everyone has a smart phone yet or knows how to access QR readers if they do have a phone.  Most people still think the square code is a pretty design, not realizing the square actually contains information.

The article says, "Unless QR codes become easier, more nimble, and can provide content that engenders a more meaningful connection to the brand or product, students will continue to shower them with apathy."  Some students say the process takes too long (wow!  now that's scary!) or they can't figure out the whole process.  And we all know how cumbersome it can be to try and access web materials on your phone sometimes.

QR codes are an interesting concept and I know educators are jumping on them--anything "techie" we can do to grab a student's interest helps.  But I'm just not sure this is a concept we want to invest a whole lot of time on.

What do you think?  Any cool uses for QR codes?  Successes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment