Monday, January 2, 2012

Words for 2012

So I don't know about you but I'm back at work today.  It took me all of vacation to feel relaxed and back to "normal" and now here we are ----back to it.

Over the break I read this blog posting from Jeff Goins entitled Why your Work Never Feels Good Enough.  It really struck a chord with me.  And the basic premise boils down to this:  practice, practice, practice.....Whether it's writing, singing, dancing--wherever your creative talents take you, the creativity requires practice. 

As an example, I keep the very first thing I knitted as a reminder of how far I've come.  My first project was godawful but I keep it around so I can see my progress. 

My writing is the same.  I hope I finish this novel this year but I'm not sure it will be very good.  But if the practice theory holds true, the next few novels in the series will be better!

This video says it better than I ever could:

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment